- This event has passed.
From Mandated Reporting to Supporting (Virtual)
Tuesday, March 7, 2023, 3:00pm-5:30pm (PT)
Hosted by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) New York State Chapter. The ethical and professional responsibilities of social workers are aligned with supporting families, however, the current system of mandated reporting often does not support families or communities. This course will delve into the history and practice of mandated reporting, redefining the role of social workers to one of “mandated supporting.” Central to this shift is the incorporation of critically analyzing themes of power, race, oppression, and privilege. The presenters will describe numerous alternative responses to mandated reporting that are liberatory, harm reductive, and de-colonial. Most importantly, this course will provide ways for social workers to center families within their professional roles and obligations.
After the completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the racialized roots of child welfare and mandated reporting
- Identify how mandated reporting impacts families
- Describe ways to discern family need from charges of neglect
- Explain ways to apply a community care model and social justice framework to social work practice
- Describe alternative responses to mandated reporting that center families
This workshop is approved for 2.5 CEUs.
Cost: $0. Registration and more information here