Getting Listened To: A Practice to Reclaim Our Thinking and Heal From Oppression (Virtual)
Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 10:00am-1:00pm (PT)
Hosted by Luna Jimenez Institute for Social Transformation. Living in an unjust society takes a toll. We’ve had to numb out to continue to function. When we receive warm, attentive listening that honors confidentiality, we feel safe enough to release emotions wrapped around shameful or painful experiences. Being listened to in this way gives us permission to heal. Often after a listening session, we have new insights, get clearer thinking, and feel more relaxed and connected. This transformational experience is called Constructivist Listening and has profound impacts on our capacity to stand up against injustice and create transformational change. When practiced regularly we can heal the root causes and effects of oppression—a necessary and missing aspect of sustainable social justice work.
Workshop Desired Outcomes:
- Explored how our numbing patterns are both the result of and allow an unjust society to continue unchallenged
- Understood how a regular practice of being listened to supports us to heal from the root causes and internalized effects of oppression
- Learned Constructivist Listening guidelines and theory to create an ongoing practice with others
- Experienced the power of healing in community using LJIST’s core listening practice.
- Deepened your understanding of LJIST’s core theory of social transformation and its application to ending racism.
*Cost: $147. Registration and more information here