- This event has passed.
Mindfulness and Compassion in Clinical Practice (Virtual)
May 12, 2023 - May 13, 2023
Friday, May 12-Saturday, May 13, 2023, 6:00am-1:00pm (PT)
Hosted by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) New York State Chapter. Mindfulness practices are generally accepted by clinicians and clients, with robust empirical evidence to support their efficacy. Learning and teaching these skills empowers clients as they learn to manage their stress and pain, and also helps prevent burnout for clinicians. The most recognized definitions of mindfulness include “paying attention” or “being in the moment”, yet for those attempting this practice, this can be challenging. Adding kindness and self-compassion can prevent mindfulness from becoming another opportunity to judge or criticize.
In this didactic and experiential workshop, we will explore practices that implicitly and explicitly include both awareness and compassion; and discover applications in a wide variety of clinical settings. Participants will have an opportunity to learn mindfulness practices for their populations and settings, brainstorm, and role-playing scenarios. This workshop will provide an introduction to teachable mindfulness and compassion skills for those who are new to these practices, as well as an opportunity to broaden and deepen skills for those with experience.
After the completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Determine appropriate adaptations of mindfulness practices for individual populations and settings
- Determine appropriate adaptations of compassion practices for individual populations and settings
- Introduce and describe mindfulness differentially to a range of clients
- Introduce and describe compassion and self-compassion differentially to a range of clients
- Conduct a diaphragmatic breathing practice
- Conduct a Three Minute Breathing Space
- Conduct a Self-Compassion practice
This workshop is approved for 12 CEUs.
Cost: $0-$300. Registration and more information here