- This event has passed.
Applied Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) (In-Person)
September 14 - September 15
Thursday, September 14-Friday, September 15, 2023, 8:45am-4:30pm (PT)
Friendsview Retirement Community is hosting a two-day mental health promotion and suicide intervention training, sponsored in full by the Association of Oregon Community Mental Health Programs. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
The training is called “ASIST,” which stands for “Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training.” Considered by many to be the “gold standard” for suicide intervention training, ASIST is a two-day certification course that emphasizes empathy, active listening, and developing skills to facilitate conversations about suicide.
While the curriculum is applicable to all groups and demographics, in this particular training, we’re approaching the work through the lens of professionals working with older adults and Service Members, Veterans, and their families (SMVFs). 13 free CEUs for licensed mental health providers and DPSST first responders are provided
- Understand the ways personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first-aid to a person having thoughts of suicide in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life promotion and self-care
Friendsview Senior Living Community
1301 E. Fulton Street
Newberg, Oregon 97132
Cost: $0. Registration and more information here